As February celebrates love, we could not think of a better time to consider what we can do to love ourselves a little bit more.
Why? Evidence suggests that increasing our self-esteem can help to reduce depression. Although it is normal during periods of low mood and depression to be critical about ourselves, it is unhelpful for our psychological wellbeing. So, here are a few tips on how to improve your self-esteem:
- Write a list of your positive characteristics
- Keep a list of things that you have done well/ enjoyed or achieved over the next week, no matter how big or small
- Each time you have a self-critical thought, think or say a positive statement out loud to yourself (positive affirmations)
- Imagine what you would say to a friend to make them feel better, and think the same about yourself or say it aloud
- Do something enjoyable for yourself
- Treat yourself each time you achieve something
- Spend time with people who bring out the best in your character
- Laugh - watch a funny television programme/ film or spend time with fun people.