Christmas is a time for being merry and enjoying family parties, but it can be stressful too. The family are stuck indoors, the children are overexcited, there’s the tree to decorate, presents to buy and wrap, and food to cook. It’s no wonder the festive feeling can fizzle out. Make sure this Christmas doesn’t become a day to remember for all the wrong reasons.
Follow these simple tips to keep yourself well this Christmas.
- If there have been any family disagreements during the year, try to resolve them. Plan to get together before Christmas to talk about whatever problem you had so you can look forward to seeing family and not dread the fall out.
- Plan the day and delegate jobs to be done amongst the family. Don't slave away for hours in the kitchen all on your own and feel like people are taking you for granted.
- Discuss your plans with others, including any children who will be there, so that you can listen to their ideas and wishes for the day. Then you can come up with a celebration which includes things that please everyone.
- Have a timetable for Christmas Day so that you don’t all sit around for hours doing nothing. Try to make sure you won't be spending a lot of time with a difficult person or someone you don’t get along with.
- Don’t drink alcohol excessively particularly at Christmas time when emotions can run high.
- Plan some down time particularly for Children who can get overexcited. Take the family on a long walk for a change of scenery and some fresh air. Everybody will feel refreshed and pleasantly tired instead of irritably tired.